PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there such a thing as "Regional QNH"?
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2001, 23:58
40 yearflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can this discussion move on to the usefulness of RPS ? Why do we use them when no other country bothers ? Is it to cater for a non radio aircraft setting off an IFR flight of 2 hours that might take him,say, over Snowdonia - assuming he remembers to add 1000 ft (plus extra for mountain effect) to his MEF or obstacle -
I cannot see the relevance of flying past Coventry on Barnsley RPS when there is a low pressure system centred on Newcastle miles away but dictating the lowest RPS for that big area. Just as you announce your altitude you receive Coventry QNH and lo and behold it makes your altitude 300 ft different from the aircraft in that area. However, it doesn't matter we are all VFR -set what you want- see everybody don't we. Which leads me onto the next subject - how many times have I flown IFR into Coventry, Cranfield and any other 'training' airfield where aircraft are reported to me, as if I can see them, who are pretending to be VFR. The latest passed half a mile away VFR in a layer of SC stubbornly maintaining his altitude when he could have descended or climbed and I might have seen him earlier -if at all - 'cos I was IFR wasn't I