PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scary XP Fax !?!?!
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2004, 14:32
BLUE SKY THINKER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Scary XP Fax !?!?!

Courtesy of Add/Remove Windows Components I have just installed the 'Fax Services' facility. .....I've tested it and it works perfectly, outbound. .....Two questions...

1) Why, when I activate the 'fax console' even when not connected to a phone line, does 'Norton Internet Security' firewall go completely bonkers, not only indicating "High Risk: Attempt to connect to local computer using the Netspy Trojan horse blocked", but doing so six times one after the other (same when connected). .....Details show coming from my IP address? .....'Norton Internet Security' & 'Spybot' fully up to date.

2) I'm new to fax from computer, so excuse my ignorance and what is probably the blindingly obvious. .....I can see the mechanics of sending a fax from my laptop and it coming out printed on a fax machine on the other end. .....But what about receiving a fax without a fax machine at my end? Do I assume...

i) provided laptop is connected to the receiving phone number, fax will arrive in 'fax console' inbox? .....and...

ii) presumably, if this is the case, it will arrive via any number the laptop is connected to, provided sender knows which particular one at that particular moment?

Thanks.