PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Climp gradient
Thread: Climp gradient
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2004, 09:52
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mutt,

Our computerised Flight Planning considers RTOW for the departure environmental conditions, and specific to the runway and obstacles (of course). For arrival the normal Structural and Field limits are considered, but unfortunately only the 'normal' Approach Climb / Landing Climb is considered. It is incumbent upon the pilots to ensure that landing weight is not more than that to achieve at least the LOWER of the MAP gradients available (based on forecast conditions). Approaching HKG when actual environmental conditions and landing weight are known, the approach minima to be used is decided upon. Fortunately, due to the great number of nearby alternates, fuel on arrival, and therefore weight, is pretty low, and usually no great disadvantage presents itself. The Typhoon season is another story!

From a PERSONAL point of view, I'd have no problem going all the way to the 'normal' minima, and using the OEI escape route instead of the published MAP, but the rules are the rules are the rules.........

The powers of darkness continue to keep my roster 'off optimum', and a performance commitment in a southern continent continue to control my life - keep that beer well chilled, I intend to accept the offer.

It IS good to have you back, it was bleedin well boring without you.

Smokey