PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas to call crew bluff on 'sick-out'
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2004, 22:41
Three Bars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zaptas,

To address the two points that you raised in regard to my post.

Firstly, you (like many others on this forum I might add) mention the poor Qantas inflight service. But how many make the connection between management's attitude to staff and staff's attitude to customers.

In the military they always used to talk about loyalty up and down the chain of command. Personally, I only ever saw an expectation of loyalty up the chain of command. Qantas is going through a similar process. As far as QF are concerned, all that their staff represent is a drain on the bottom line. If staff are treated this way. morale plummets (as I believe it currently is). With very low morale, service standards will fall. When cabin crew mention to me that a customer is upset about something I tell them to advise the passenger to write to Geoff Dixon and see how much he cares.

Secondly, while you might not equate employees pay to executives pay, I'm sure that every QF employee coming up for an EBA in the next round certainly will. You said that executives earn their money because they regularly make decisions that could cost millions and bankrupt the company. I think given the right (wrong?) weather conditions and operational scenario, pilots make similarly important decisions. So do engineers who service the aircraft. So do cabin crew who may have to evacuate an aircraft full of passengers. So does nearly everybody who plays a part in keeping these steel tubes safely in the air - away from the confines of a plush office.

One final question - are you advocating business without morals? James Hardie, I think, followed that route and I hope that some of their executives will now face the full force of the law as a conseqeunce.

Last edited by Three Bars; 19th Oct 2004 at 23:35.