PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety Demonstrations.
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2001, 10:39
SevenFiftySeven.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

The Virgin video is very good and most of all effective.
I haven't seen it used aboard any of my Virgin flights for the last few months, but when I last saw it, I was very impressed. It is a cartoon using the voices of Euan McGregor and Leslie whatsisname (he used to be in those doctor films from the 60's/70's..... can't remember his lastname).

They're actually very funny to watch (as well as communicating serious information) and looking round the cabin, you do see more people taking notice of this video than you tend to see on the live demos on the other flights.

I agree with aisleman, I always make a point in counting how many seat backs to the nearest exits - both ways. If I'm travelling with friends or collegues, I also make the point of telling them how many seat backs to the exits as well. Some of them think I'm crazy, but I think it's better to be prepared.

One other silly thing I do - and sometimes I can't believe I'm this silly myself! - is when I'm boarding, I always touch the outside of the aircraft by the door. It's a crazy superstitious thing I have done for a long time now (I'm not normally superstitious at all!).

Quite a few years ago, when I was a teenager, I was on a 737 that suffered rapid decompression at altitude (not an experience I would like to repeat I might add ) and since then I have done this - purely to 'look after the plane!'.
The only time I forgot to do it was a couple of years ago on a flight from ORD - LHA on a United 777 and guess what? yep, we had electrical problems and had to divert to Washington!
Since then I make sure to do it - and I know I'm being silly, but it can't hurt can it!