PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ZA to the UK - what gives?...
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2001, 22:43
TikkiRo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ZA to the UK - what gives?...

Hi
I've just returned from 7 weeks out in 43rd Air School, Port Alfred, ZA training for my PPL. I'm disabled, and had a few health probs (nothing major) while there, that slowed me up somewhat, hence I didn't manage to complete and get a licence. Have come home with 35 hours (38 all in)bar crosswinds/precautionaries/Dual/solo x-c.

Now, having spoken to one of the local CFI's I'm beginning to fear any chance of ever getting my licence here. He tells me that not only would i have to repeat ALL of the groundschool exams (which I passed) but would also need to repeat the Medical. On top of the high cost of lessons in a Cherokee, we're talking the guts of £2000 here - not nice figure for someone on disability benefits (perhaps I should at this stage point out that my training was on a Scholarship). SO - I just wondered if anyone here has any more clarity of the situation. I accept I would have to redo the Law and perhaps the Radio exams - was prepared for those, but why the Medical - surely this should stand. S. AFrica is an ICAO country and the licence was provided through the CAA in Pretoria - is it thus to be assumed that the UK CAA would now consider the doctor who passed me to have so little judgement that they deem it necessary to get another opinion?? Seems totally ridiculous to me, that if I'd actually managed to get the licence I wouldn't have any of these issues apart from the couple of exams to do, yet because I just didn't get that far I'm being 'penalised' financially in being expected to redo half of what I've already done. Apologies - I know this sounds a bit of an angry email - don't mean it to be. I'm just VERY confused and really, really want to get my licence. My disabilities are rheumatic in nature, and what meds I'm currently on are acceptable to the CAA here (checked that one out long ago).

Anyone any suggestions on a way forward or a clearer picture for me of the true situation??
Thanks
TikkiRo