PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay interviw debrief
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2004, 23:53
Sir_Fly-a-Lot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink More from the same

Hey all,

Just wanted to post an update on the first Cathay interview (DE F/O B747 Freighter), as said before, they still ask the same questions, no matter were you go for your interview. I first had to make a multiple choice questionaire with about 30 questions, If you read and studied Handling the Big Jets by D.P.Davies, it's fairly easy, as most questions seem to be based on this book, very theoretical!
Next came the interview, all the usual questions, "Why should we hire you ?, Have you applied to other airlines ?, Why do you want to come and fly for us ?, Do you think you are a good pilot ? etc," 2 interviewers were present, one from human resources, an a technical pilot, the latter asking 90% of the questions, and yes, there is a model of a 747/777 there, and they ask you to tell everything you know about it.
Some Typical questions that were asked:

- Explain why swept back wings are more economical
- What are the specifics of the RB211 Engine, what makes it a better engine
( FFS KNOW all there is to know about RB211 Engines !!!)
- Explain Mach Tuck
- What is a Monsoon, and were does it form
- Tropical cyclones, were do they form, what requirements
- Turning directions on northern/southern hemisphere
- Coriolis force, (none at equator)
- Microbursts/Macroburts, size and affected area
- Go Around Procedure during Windshear
- How many aircraft does Cathay have
- What types, and engines
- What destinations does Cathay serve
- What is the longest flight Cathay operates

All in all they keep you busy for about 1hr45minutes, just make sure you come well prepared, they appreciate it, the technical pilot seemed very pleased that I quoted directly from Handling the Big Jets. At the end of the interview they ask if you have any questions for them, make sure you have a few ready !

After I was done, we shook hands and they told me to prepare for Hong Kong, so I assumed I made it. Sure enough, about one week later I was called and informed I was successful. I'm now waiting for the second round to take place, so any tips would be appreciated !

Cheers,
SF