PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wheel landings and full stall landings
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2001, 02:50
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluskis::

Yes of course I teach a go around if the approach or landing is starting to go wrong, that is all part of professional flying.

As to the problems we are having in the airshow world and also with warbirds and vintage aircraft in general.

I am a demo pilot in the airshow circuit and am quite concerned about the number of losses we have seen where airworthy airplanes are wrecked and lives lost in what seems to be pilot error.

For the past five years I have been working with Lloyds to put together a recurrency training program to be passed at least once a year. The check flight would not be mandatory, it would however result in a lower insurance cost to those who pass the check ride. Why should airshow demo pilots, and vintage airplane pilots not need recurrent training? It is my beliefe that they need it more than airline pilots who at least fly on a regular basis.

As far as the demo pilots being high time high skilled pilots, you should meet some of the winners I have met, they are accepted as excellent pilots because they have managed to B.S. everyone and they are part if a clique that are the chosen in their area.

Now don't go getting the idea that I am being envious and just feel left out, far from it I just do not wish to see our business fade away because we did not cull out the inept among us.

In the final analysis real professionals know that recurrent training is beneficial and necessary.

---------------------

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.