PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wheel landings and full stall landings
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2001, 21:19
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hudson:

I am sorry you missunderstood my post, I meant if one starts to lose directional control after touchdown in the full stall three point landing there is the danger of ground looping due to insufficient rudder effectiveness, especially on paved runways.

On the other hand the wheel landing allows for far better directional control due to better rudder effectiveness. The wheel landing is the safest method when there is a strong x/wind...especially on paved runways.

As to missuse of the elevator after touch down in the wheel landing causing Kangarooing down the runway or grass, sure but that is the reason for proper flight training, to avoid sloppy flying.

The reason I started this subject is that most instructors I talk to have the misguided idea that the three point full stall landing is the preferable method. Most of them just plain don't know how to do proper wheel landings. I have found the resaon for them being uncomfortable with wheel landings is their inability to flare at a low enough height above the runway in a precisc manner to wheel the airplane on without bouncing to hell and back.

Therefore to be profficient with tailwheel airplanes one must be equally profficient in both full stall three point landings and wheel landings.

Which method you choose on any given landing is your own choice based on conditions and what you feel like doing.

I do a fair amount of flying in England and we get some very interesting entertainment watching some of the tail wheel Yak drivers go boing, boing, boing, down the runway trying to figure out how to land the things. I have always wondered who trained them.... In fact a couple of weeks ago I watched someone do that in a P40 so bad he had to go around.

Any idea of why we are losing so many warbirds lately? I for one can tell you it is sure making it very difficult to get insurance on warbirds and vintage aircraft, soon we will be grounded because we will no longer be able to afford to fly.

So please answer one simple question.

Does anyone out there think that proper training would or could cut down on these accidents??? Or are there a group who feel that the trainig is just fine as it is and we do not need to improve on it.

P S ::

Another observation I have made is that wearing fancy flight suits with lots of pens, pencils maps etc.. doesn't seem to improve their skills when landing..

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.