PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wheel landings and full stall landings
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2001, 19:22
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason I started this subject was to discuss the pros and cons of wheel landings vs. three point stall landings in light tail wheel aircraft that are normally availiable at the local airport in general aviation.

I guess I have strayed into a different breed of airplane all together, so back to small airplanes.

One of the most important reasons you should be competent and comfortable doing wheel landings on light aircraft ( especially on a paved runway. ) is the simple fact that a wheel landing will give far better directional control at touch down, if loss of directional control starts a go around is no problem as you have sufficient speed and directional control to safely go around.

However if directional control is lost in a three point full stall landing the go around will in all likelyhood be a go around with the wheels on the ground, better known as a a ground loop.

Another benefit to the wheel landing is it teaches excellent roundout ( flare ) skills.
Something that is sadly lacking around a lot of airports, especially where flying training is conducted. A large percentage of small aircraft sort of change attitude prior to striking the ground and then arrive somewhere down the runway. I do not consider that a landing.

----------------

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.