PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wheel landings and full stall landings
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2001, 20:31
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good morning again:

Yes Kermit I suppose I do have a reason for this discussion and some ideas to share.

First allow me to explain why I train in the sequence that I do.

Generally speaking pilots who have learned on nose wheel airplanes are not aware of the importance of rudder to keep straight on take off and landing. By making them do consecutive high speed runs down the runway and coming to a full stop each time they will learn to use rudder in the least amount of time. I do not let them fly until they can S turn accurately down the runway and return to the center line and hold it at any time.

The reason I teach wheel landings first is also because "most" pilots have trouble flareing for the landing at an accurate height above the runway, wheel landings will solve the how to flare and control attitude during the landing problem. When they can consistently and accurately wheel land I teach the full stall three point landing.

There is no hard and fast rule for which landing is best, it will depend on aircraft type, landing surface, x/wind and many other factors.

There is one rule however, and that is any pilot converting to tailwheel airplanes "must" be profficient in both types of landings.

As to different types of aircraft and how to land them anyone wish to comment on which type of landing you do with a DC3 or Beech 18?

If you have the opportunity to spend some time with a crop duster pilot do so as they are probably the most profficient tailwheel pilots you can find.

Actually there is no big secret to flying any airplane, all you need is a good instructor and the desire to learn.

By the way Kermit, I am sure you would enjoy doing circuits as I teach them in my course. We have access to an airport in our area with a 4000 foot paved runway, no obstructions and no traffic. We do sixty second circuits left hand , right hand, over and over until you become comfortable with the airplane. After that we progress to how to fly the thing.

The haredst thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

[ 04 December 2001: Message edited by: Cat Driver ]