PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Money - the great sinking feeling
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2004, 16:38
Iceman1976

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello! Sorry to bring an 'old' topic up on page 2 but this was a very interesting read!
Im in a similar kinda boat to be honest, and Im new on this site.

Reading your orignal post captain, it does make you think that is it all worth it just to fly a plane for a living? Borrowing 50k off a bank just for a career is a boit extreme, especially when u arent guaranteed a job by a long shot.
The Ex-Copper you mentioned earlier who left his 35k a year job and is now earning 15k as an instructer, does he surely think it was all worth it?

I myself earn 17k a year in my new job, owe 4 grand on the old plastic, 17k consolidation loan to barclaycard, 4k on my car. plus rent of 475 per month, so of a take home pay of approx 1100, i pay out 850. BUt ive got 2 loans of a combined 16k available to me.

I can afford to pay cash with part of my loan for a PPL, Im in two minds whether to do it or, buy a new car!

Im not sure if it is all worth it! I suppose it depends greatly about whether you will get an airline job. I mean look at the ex-copper, i wouldnt like to be doing what he's doing for very long.

Thing is, when yer moneys gone, its gone! Its ok if you are a lotto winner and can afford it comfortably with no loan repayments or pressure to pay back the bank or have to work to pay it off, like is often the case with self funded pilots.

I reckon what you seriously have to think about is, of all the people who have followed thier dreams and successfully got pilot jobs for thier effort and determination, how many ended up not getting a job, still cant get a job, and have a mountain of debt to worry about.

Ps, forgot to mention... For those of you chasing their dreams, or worry about your dream slipping away, the age factor isnt really an issue. I read of a woman who was in her 40,s who gave up her old job and became a pilot, at that age stage you still have 20 years service to give an airline.

A lot of people say "you can achieve anything you want to if you work hard enough or want it enough" But that isnt strictly true. There are also a number of "Limiting Factors" that stop you from doing certain things.

For example:

* Not being able to pay back a 50k loan, or secure one in the first place, due to lack of sufficient status/ collateral etc.

* Not having the mental ability or skill to become a pilot.

and other limiting factors in other industries:

* Every footballer who playes in Amatuer Football, isnt going to play in the Premiership, no matter how badly they want it.

* Every muscian who plays a guitar is gonna get a record contract, and be on TV

* Every one who owns a corner shop, isnt gonna be the next richard branson.

People badly want to become pilots (including me) but it aint neccesarily gonna happen due to the limiting factors!

Forget these dreams of sailing off into the sun one day ina 747, like ive heard a lot of you say. you need to deal with the hard facts!

Last edited by Iceman1976; 18th Oct 2004 at 16:58.