PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Learning to fly at TAFE (Cert IV and Diploma)
Old 18th Oct 2004, 13:51
GOH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Learning to fly at TAFE (Cert IV and Diploma)

Hi, I am just finished reading a previous post on the topic although I still have some unanswered questions about the Certificate IV in aeronautics and Diploma in Aeronautics in TAFE (currently Midland Campus I believe). If anyone can help I would really appreciate it. I plan on doing the Certificate IV in aviation first (theory for PPL and CPL). Then the Diploma (well that WAS the plan!)

1. Has anyone done the course/ applied for it? The reason I ask is that I found out that there is only around 25 positions and wanted to know if it is competitive.

2. I know that the course is for the theory only for these licences but I am guessing it would be more beneficial to do the flight training at the same time as studying?

3. I have been slack lately with exams and all and haven’t really done much research. To be honest I don’t know if I can afford it, read in the other post $150 per hour for aircraft (does that include instructor?) if so it says the minimum time required for the CPL is 150 hours, after completing the PPL for 40 hours (although more likely take 50 hours) so that totals $30 000? Now for a school leaver with $2000 and no car and planning on starting straight into it in February (if accepted) I don’t know where I will get the money from! So this brings me to my question (finally I know) what would happen if I couldn’t afford to pay for lessons anymore and was just left doing the theory?

4. Anyone know how many hours of flying will have to be done say each week?

Am really interested in speaking to people that may have done the course. (although highly unlikely haha!)

Also anyone have any more specific info on names, schools ect which have good quality instructors in Perth? (Maybe after reading above...that are cheap!?)

If you have managed to have read all of this I thank you and look forward to your tips!

GOH