PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Official language of this forum?
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2004, 12:45
PPRuNe Towers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The entry caption to the forum tells the story.

There are alternatives for you out there as we aren't supporting minor languages or non Roman alphabets. This is the situation across the entire site because any other policy means recruiting more moderators. We have 57 at the moment and that causes enough communications problems as it is between timezones, rostering, access to connections and legal issues. With the planned increase in private forums coming on line soon that number will unavoidably increase adding to our load here in the Towers.

There are no staff, there is no office and Danny and I have run the site since its inception while holding down full time flying jobs. We have to restrict our load to something approaching manageable.

To those pissed of with this decision our apologies but it is the way it is going to be - as I said you have a raft of alternatives available. If you take violent exception to this decision I suggest you look carefully at yourselves. PPRuNE has never advertised or issued a press release. Think about that. We didn't come looking for you. We have never made any offer, promise or undertaking to any of you other than protecting your identities.

You came to us and are in our 'home.' You agreed to our terms and conditions when signing up. The site isn't a democracy. As Flaps knows only too well, Danny describes it as a benign dictatorship and it has been for 8 years. While this is self centred, probably morally wrong and we will ultimately be consigned to hades the point is it works, it has worked for 8 years.

Anyone familiar with the overall site and reading it for a number of years will have seen me stepping into a forum several times during such periods as this. I serve the role of lightning conductor and punchbag. I take the flak and insulate the moderator(s) from long term ill feeling and resentment - Danny tends to be a little more direct having shut down the Australian forums 4 times till they get the message. It works and the Oz PPRuNers were desperate to get it back. There are always many ways of skinning a cat - it is entirely likely that there is someone out there that can do it better than us and PPRuNE will fade away.

I've enjoyed the jousting and hope you continue to find the site both useful and entertaining.

Regards to you all,
Rob