PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Float Planes - The whole shebang
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2004, 05:29
7gcbc
Registered User **

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Float Planes - The whole shebang

Hi ,

There was some talk a few months ago regarding seaplane ratings, I've done some homework and had a talk to a few operators and I'm happy thus far.

Without going into it in detail, I have no aspirations for the lines, nor regional turbos , simply can't afford to risk it at my age (38) too late to stake all on a possible job.

What is achievable for me, is GA, instructing, Ag (possible) and floaties.

Speaking with a mate of mine at camden this weekend, he suggested Canada, now a 172/182 floatie rating in OZ is do-able financially for me, but the Beaver (whilst I could scrape the cost together) would be outside my ability to keep current.

(I can't justify getting rated on a Type I cannot afford to keep current - I'm not a working pilot)

Questions are as follows:

Are they that much cheaper in Canada - Has anyone done it there ?, Would NZ be an option ?

As Float work is very seasonal, ie would I expect to find another job during wet season, ?

Any of the guy doing R402B (bridge-rose-longnose-paramatta) in SYD or QLD guys in here ? Please PM (or post here if you have the time) I would really value having a chat.

Salary does not majorly concern me (aside from it has to be enough to live on- but I'm not chasing big biccies for this)

thx in advance

7gcbc