PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I need to get to India.
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2004, 08:58
rsoman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hartington

Remember you need a visa for India. Last I heard queues were long and slow and cost was high.

True the otherway round also my friend! The most memorable (and adventorous) part of my year spent in UK a couple of years back was waiting 48 hours outside the locaal British consulate in pouring rain just to have the privilege of an interview! My passport still bears the scars! (Indian passports arent made of water proof paper!)

I made it through, but then it will make me think twice before I contribute another 20 grand to prop up the UK economy. However I should say the great time I had it at the end of it all at Cranfield went a long way in healing the wounds!

Anyway as I understand, now the waiting is more civilised , and spending a night or two on the pavement outside is no longer part of a pre requisite for the precious visa. But from what I gather, it took a few well aimed stones landing inside the consulate launched by some poor frustrated souls who had to wait in the que for a week without success to get in to wake up the "coated and suited" to reality!

Now back to the topic! The cheapest flights are to Mumbai and Delhi! Try your bet with Royal Jordanian, Qatar , Aeroflot or Syrian or a whole lot of others. Personally if you arent insisting on tbe lowest possible, I would recommend Qatar as their service is excellent and fares reasonable.

From Mumbai (and also Delhi), there is India's first (and so far the only) no frills carrier, Air Deccan. The flights are operated by Airbus 320s and and the fares are defintely cheaper . Of course everything on board has to be purchased (but at sensible prices!).
Air Deccan also flies to Goa from Bangalroe but that particular flight is operated by an ATR 42. You can check them out at www.airdeccan.net

Cheers