PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visual Approaches
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2004, 04:07
blueloo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visual Approaches

After having a look at the AIP definition of Visual Approach and the requirements, someone has pointed out that it may not be as clear cut (or in reality as convoluted) as one expects.

THe definition or requirements say (AIP 1.1 -21 Para 11.5 and 1.5-9 Para 1.14)

For IFR, by day /night within 30nm of the Aerodrome
Tracking, by day within 5nm of the Aerodrome

or night withn the circling area or within 5nm (7nm ILS) of the aerodrome aligned with RWY C/L etc , or within 10nm (14nm RWY 16L/34L) of the Aerodrome etc...

(I undertsnad this to be based on the surveys of the approach areas..)

The AIP Definition of Aerodrome is (AIP gen 2.2-1)
A defined area of land or water (including any buildings, installations and equipment) intended to be used either wholly or in part for the arrival, departure and movement of aircraft.

So my question therefore is (a) where do we find the dimensions of the aerodromes we operate into to apply these distances
(b)from experience most people use the distances based on RWY threshold. Whilst this would be conservative - is using the RWY threshold really suitable (legally) for using the 5nm/7nm/10nm

THe only reason i ask, is that there are some pedantic so & so's out there, who apply the rules as they interpret them, not necessarily (and i dont necessarily know either) as they are intended.