PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MK Airlines B747 crash at Halifax
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2004, 01:42
74tweaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SNAM Sort of.......
There were actually 2 sets of tail scrapes.
I don't think you could say that it ever got a chance to stall. About 150 meters from the end of the runway it lifted off - (probably hit it's minimum unstick speed and hung out in ground effect) - but going .....oh, i don't know, at least 150 knts (probably more), it wouldn't take long to eat up 150 meters i would think. The plane was barely able to lift off so once it got to the end of the runway it had no room left and the tail hit the berm at the end of the runway - tearing the tail off.

Momentum combined with thrust (asuuming max) from the engines carried it a few hundred meters (the exact distance is not mentioned yet) into the woods where the wings came off and everything came to an end.

From TC investigator:
Fowler said the tail struck the runway for the first time about 250 metres from the end of the 2,700-metre runway, then again with about 170 metres to go. About 300 metres beyond the end of the strip, the tail struck the berm and sheered off, sealing the fate of everyone on board. "The main part of the fuselage continued . . . ballistically until the final impact point," he said.