PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot incapacitation during CAT II/III
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2004, 23:48
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My airline has had the policy of autolanding off a cat II+ approach, when one of the pilots is incapacitated, for so long that it has ceased to be a discussion point. Indeed, with any incapacitation the recommendation is to do an autoland even if it's CAVOK (ILS permitting, of course). Same with other non-normal situations where the A/Land is still functional.

I think the majority of contributors to this thread are saying much the same thing. Once configured, the aircraft needs no further input to complete a successful autoland. In fact, both pilots could pass out and it would make no difference to the landing if they had selected some autobrake and the aeroplane was rollout equipped.

If the approach goes wrong as well as one of you conking out, well, it's just not your day is it!

SOP's are great 99.9% of the time... but can cause problems if rigidly followed in very particular circumstances. I personally feel that this is the major reason that I am employed to sit on the flight deck. Of course I try to be as 'standard' as possible but at the end of the day I am expected to use my judgement and, if necessary, step outside the normal operation to conduct the flight in what I regard as the safest manner.

I would also point out that as professional airmen we are beholden to the CAA/FAA or whatever, above and beyond our individual airlines. We are licenced and policed by our particular governments who, sometimes unfortunately, will have the final say. We are in the invidious position of being accountable to two masters, who may not be reading from the same rulebook, even though this should not be the case...