PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Atlanta Icelandic
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2004, 20:46
BoeingBoy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For what it's worth Gentlemen, I moderate the Air2000/First Choice Airways forum, and have done so since Danny left for Astreus.

Our forum is very busy with over half the pilot workforce subscribed including management and union council members aswell. To the best of my knowledge it is the busiest and most sucessfull private forum within PPRuNe.

Over the last few years I have tried to act not only as moderator but independant reporter, bringing news items from the company web sites and union sites alike. This has resulted in the forum becoming a focus for not only discussion but a source of information for pilots downroute along with those that have problems logging onto the company's intranet from home.

The management now value the site as a window into the crewroom to gauge feelings and feedback. In fact they have approached me to replicate the site within the companies server.
However PPRuNe can offer the one thing that internal servers can't and that is anonymity. Whatever the feelings of those that state that all posts should be identifiable the real truth of crews feelings can only be best portrayed when those who feel that perceived or real retribution may jeapardise their careers feel safe posting behind a pseudonym. Our site works well on that basis.

At no time have I had any pressure or enquiry from the company to curtail a post, or to reveal an identity.

If you want to set up an Air Atlantic forum I would encourage you to do it here. Your moderator should be a Captain of reasonable seniority who is viewed as an independant thinker and someone who is prepared to work alone between the waring factions of company and union. Occasionally the flak from both sides will land on his doorstep. He/She will need to be able to balance his views to see both sides of any argument in threads.

You will probably find that Air Atlanta will not object to the forum once they have found the benefits of seeing straight into the workforces current feelings and morale.

Good luck........BB