PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot incapacitation during CAT II/III
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2004, 19:20
Backtrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Batty,

You originally asked for other airlines SOPs on this. Well, not exactly an SOP, but it is nevertheless written in the Ops Manual, Low Vis Ops bit that in the event of the commander becoming incapacitated during CAT2/3 ops, the F/O is authorised, and expected to continue the approach provided LAND 3 (i.e. Fail Operational) is displayed & the a/c is below 600ft RA.

I have never operated for a carrier that adopts 'The Monitored Approach' (sic), but wonder from your last posting whether this indicates a weakness in this particular technique? Do I assume correctly that under your SOPs a fully, compus mentis captain would say nothing at DA, unless he obtained adequate visual reference?

You raised the point ealier of the difficulties adjusting at DA - which for CAT3A will be 50ft RA - for an F/O who has flown the approach & expecting the captain to 'take control' for the landing (despite the fact that it is the AFDS that is actually landing the a/c!). So at DA, you hear nothing & execute a G/A. What then happens when you ask for flap & gear retraction & nothing happens?......If the AFDS has satisfactorily flown the approach as far as 50ft RA, the risks of it not completing a successful landing are minimal. Personally, I don't feel it would be any harder for the F/O to adjust to handling pilot mode than to select his own flap & retract the gear while also 'flying' the missed approach.

SR71 is quite correct about JAROPS Aternate Minima & this would appear to be reflected in your Ops Manual. Right Way Up was not totally accurate on this point.

The issue of the incapacitated pilot interfering with the controls is a red herring; if(s)he can interfere in the autoland, (s)he can also interfere in the auto go around.

Perhaps this should be up for discussion on your next refresher course?