PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Power or pitch?
Thread: Power or pitch?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2001, 04:03
grade_3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

4dogs: That's the best description of the different techniques I've yet come across. Thanks.

CFI: I have a few questions and comments about some things said in your post.

I think that whilst it is important to keep things consistent for a student, teaching them the methods you described above leads to problems when they do step into a Baron to fly an ILS.

Attitude doesn't = Airspeed, Attitude = AoA, which, whilst related to airspeed does not solely control it.

An example: If you wish to maintain level flight but decelerate from 100 - 70 KIAS, what do you do? I teach to set the power as req'd for the speed, select, hold and trim for the new attitude / AoA required to maintain level flight and adjust if/when required. I also teach exactly the same in instrument flying (as also shown in the old pub. 45) -
Set the power for the speed, Select the Attitude, Check, Hold, Adjust, Trim.
With the example of a glide, I explain this as selecting the attitude for the best L/D AoA. At MTOW the speed will be spot on the published speed, but may vary depending on a/c weight (as it should!) This also gets the students head out of the cockpit, not fixated on the ASI. Same goes for climbing, set the Attitude for the AoA, not the speed.

The stall recovery is another point: you don't recover from a stall by increasing airspeed as you pitch the nose down, you decrease the AoA of the wing. If you teach anything else then it starts to get contradictory when you do accelerated stalls and aerobatics. It is easy to demonstrate how IAS has very little to do with the stall (except as am incipient symptom when S/L) by simply performing an accelerated stall. That darn horn and the buffeting doesn't stop until you reduce the AoA!

Finally, if someone is taught the techniques described by above 4dogs they will fly a Baron down an ILS with no problems. They are also able to fly a Tomahawk with that technique equally well, but they just have much better speed control in the Tommy than they otherwise would have !

Welcome all comments as always....

(edited for typos )

[ 08 July 2001: Message edited by: grade_3 ]