PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - accidents
Thread: accidents
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2004, 19:02
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the absence of any sensible replies...

I had an accident a while ago. Although I don't go around advertising the fact to potential employees, I also don't make any attempt to hide it. I'm currently working as an instructor, and I don't recall my current employer ever asking me about it. I'm not sure whether he knows or not - it might have come up in conversation, I honestly can't remember, because I don't make a big deal of it.

On the other hand, I do use it to my advantage when teaching students. If it's at all relevant, I will always bring it up in conversation with students in the hope that they will learn from my mistakes. (There are too many mistakes to be made for us to make them all, we have to learn from other people's!) In fact, it happened to be relevant to the subject my Flying Instructor Examiner gave me for the lecture in my FI skills test, so I mentioned it during my lecture, and got praise from the examiner for doing so.

My accident happened after getting my PPL and before getting my CPL. It was in my own aircraft (well, it's group-owned, I own a 1/6 share), so it was probably less complex than it would have been either if I'd been a student (would have had to deal with my school) or a commercial pilot (deal with the boss).

Hope that's some help to you. Is there a reason why you're asking? Or is it just for general interest?

FFF
--------------