PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot incapacitation during CAT II/III
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2004, 18:36
batty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our low viz manual says that most pilots need to see not less that 3 lights in order to land. The operative word is most which then leaves room for manover since you can state that you did have adiquate visual reference to land. Tell me then if you dont see any lights at all would you still land? In which case why have any minimums at all?

We can argue what would you do if.... at infinitum since most situations are not specificaly dictated by the SOP. The situation I am talking about is specificaly mentioned in my SOP. A go around is manitory if I quote:-

'If for any reason pilot incapacitation is suspected'

(Toon that is word for word my SOP)

Tell me if you reach DH in a perfecly normal Cat III approach and the lights are not seen you would go around...correct? Or would you wait a second or two to access the situation thus breaking your DH before deciding to go around or land. Now since I am acting as the PF under my SOP I am flying the aircraft head in, the Capt is PNF at this stage looking out, at DH if he doesnt call 'Land' I would execute a go around would I not. Tell me how I know in that split second if he has just missed the call or I didnt hear it at opposed to him having become incapacitated. We all practice pilot incapacitation in the sim how many of us realise the split second it happens? That is what you asking me to do.

These actions have been approved by the governing authority and somewhere along the line form part of the AOC. They have not come about lightly. I agree there are different thoughts on the subject and if I was working for an airline who gave me some flexability my thoughts may well be different.

I am glad to see we are getting reasoned arguement now instead of insults! Excuse any spelling ..I know Im C&*p at that!