PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paying for your own rating
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2004, 17:26
haughtney1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Phileas

you have missed the point I was making..by a fair margin. If as professionals we look at the bigger picture for a moment a couple of things become apparent.

1. The market for self funded type ratings is limited, and contributes to downward spiral of experience and quality on the flightdeck as it trades on low timers desperation to try and land that first jet job, rather than learn their chosen profession. There is NO substitute for experience as far as aviation is concerned.

2. Employers who value their employees and invest in their future have a far greater return on their investment, all whilst minimising risk as the job market is tight and therefore its a better option to stay.

My 1st point is reinforced if you go and have a look at the job pages for airlines around the world, they suggest that pilots need experience..yes a type rating..oh and some more experience on type!!!!. I challenge anyone to go and ask any Flight Ops person..or Chief Pilot of a reputable airline (apart from an obvious maverick Irish outfit) as to the desireability and suitability of a SSTR person with 300hrs....or a 1200hr person who is motivated and able to be trained. 9 out of 10 will take the second choice...and they will train that person to competency given the correct set of criteria. The organisations whos business it is to churn out Type ratings will have you believe that the days of airlines conducting training are over...and to a certain extent it is, as most of the initial training is out-sourced, however this is more a case of an airline not having to invest considerable capital sums in sims or buildings..not because they are cost cutting and have no capability to train. Does Virgin take non-rated pilots?..of course they do...do they invest in their crew?..once again of course they do...do they have a high turnover of crew?....a big fat no.
An SSTR as a tool to jump the queue?..gimmie a break...at best it shows youve got some money to throw about..at worst youve got money to throw about and your an idiot.
The ONLY justification(and even then its a thin wedge) for a SSTR is a situation where you have been offered a job..and you feel that you have no other choice.

As to my second point....anyone with half a brain understands this simple..yet incredibly effective form of employee management.

To clarify something.....Im not complaining about 4 or 6 sector days..far from it...I was showing you that in few years time...if you think SSTR's are just a logical step in......you could end up paying for everything.

All of this of course is my opinion, but my opinion has been formed through a few tough years of hard knocks..and generally being pragmatic. The SSTR is a symptom of the "I want it now" culture..all its really doing is making money for TRO's

cheers H