PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why cant I "Land After"?
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2004, 15:47
UV

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Why cant I "Land After"?

Can someone explain the logic of not being allowed to "land after" at airfields without full ATC?

I understand ATC obviously cannot "clear" an aircraft to land while one is still leaving the runway and so, presumably, this is where the the "Land After" clearance came from. Of course, at the end of the day, it is up to the Commander to decide whether or not to accept such a clearence.

We are being told that this legislation also applies to non "controlled" airfields and that without the ATC clearance (which we cannot get and do NOT need because it is uncontrolled!), we cannot land on a runway behind another aircraft, EVEN in a glider.

Whats the logic in this??

And what is the runway?

At some (most?) unlicenced airfields and gliding sites all of the ground is available for take off and landings (no marked runways)! So you cannot land when an aircraft glider or tug is landing on this area (or even parked)? Mr CAA Legislator, what am I to do in my glider when another one is ahead of me??

Or is this a manoevering area, not a runway, and thus exempt?!

We have an absurd situation at an unlicenced airfield that I operate from where I cannot land an aeroplane behind someone at the far end of the 6000 ft runway, but I can legally land 25 yards abreast of the same aircraft by landing on the designated grass runway!

Surely, it must be left to the Commander to decide when to "land after" at an airfield without full ATC...or am I missing something... (wouldnt be the first time)!

UV