Thread: smithhead on tv
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2004, 14:22
robroy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel Why do I count

T E B,

Good question.

When I was first employed in an Airline in the late 60's ( the most junior , wide eyed F/O ) I was trained by a Capt. who liked to know EXACTLY, how many POB.

As we were operating in a rather unfriendly place, re terrain etc, he wanted that number, in case of an emergency, or forced landing, whatever. Remember this is in the late 60's, no radar, no nothing.
Anyhow, as required I started to enter into a notebook not only the sectors, hours, etc, but also the numbers of s/n crew and Pax. These figures I would transfer to my logbook at a later date., using the S/N & Pax. column, a habit that grew on me from back then, 'til the day I retired in the very late 90's.

Some 2 to 3 years after I retired, I was a at party with my Wife, chatting to the other guests ,when the subject, became, and what did you do before you retired.

When it got around to me, I told the usual funnies etc, then one of the guests asked me, "How many Passengers did you carry over the years " I said I didn't have a clue. Later on I remembered my logbook entries, so I spoke to the Gentleman concerned and said that I would get back to him shortly.
Shortly, HO, HO, HO, it took me ages to add up all the figures.

I now have that figure noted at the end of my logbook and had it countersigned by a non flying friend, after he had checked my figures. That cost me several bottles of good single malt Whiskey.

T E B , you are the 2nd. person ever to ask me that question.

I hope I haven't bored you and everyone else SH#tless

Cheers,

robroy