PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paying for your own rating
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2004, 12:21
haughtney1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Phileas...whilst I agree whole heartedly with your comments relating to the industry not owing ANYONE a living..or indeed getting off ones arse to be the squeaky hinge etc...etc..., I must take issue with your self sponsered type rating comment. The only reason companies like Ryanair, Astraus(ok I cant spell)..not to mention a few others are exploiting wannabes..is simple..because they can.
The argument I hear on here time and time again is "well im doing this to get my first step on the ladder" which is both ridiculous, and narrow minded as it is inaccurate, the fact of the matter is that this is just the thin end of the wedge, already Ryanair are making more "savings" by having aircrew pay for base checks..recurrency training..and not to mention positioning or anything else they can get away with. Dont delude yourself that other airline companies wont jump on the band wagon....then in mayby 7-10years from now, and your sick of 6 sector days on your A320/737....and you want to get your hands on something a little bigger....."well Mr Fogg we would be delighted to offer you the job, but there is the small matter of the 20k for your type-rating....cash or cheque?"
Ask yourself this question Phileas....how grumpy would you be to know that there are some of us..(me included who are by no means exceptional) who have secured employment in the last 6 months...not having had to spend a penny!
In my case I politely told the particular Fleet manager when he asked.....to stick his job..if I had to fund my type-rating, guess what..I got the job. Like Ive said before..and I feel strongly about this..be strong..dont prostitute yourself.