PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Close encounters of the uncomfortable kind.
Old 30th Aug 2001, 12:16
Yogi-Bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Close encounters of the uncomfortable kind.

This Bank holiday I flew also and had another of those uncomfortable encounters. You know what the weather was like? This time it was near the SW corner of Heathrow’s zone. Two aircraft at similar altitude, closing at constant aspect, no action; not the slightest hint of recognition from the one supposed to give way. This time, I was in a gentle cruise climb which I stopped. The increase in speed broke the constant angle and the other aircraft passed behind and overhead. An early change of heading by the high wing monoplane would have removed any doubt and not required action from me.
This scenario has occurred to me seven times in fifteen years of power flying. On three occasions I’ve been the one to initiate real avoiding action. One example was a particularly dogged Jetranger in LPL zone fully aware of our presence. Another, a pilot who was distracted by a sick passenger and failed to look out. What of the others? I don’t know.
From this small sample I do conclude one of two things: Light plane pilots maintain an abysmal scan out the right hand side, or that most haven’t got a clue what the Rules of the Road in the skies are nor do they know how to deal with an encounter. Both aircraft continue inexorably on course hoping the other knows what to do and will do it! This is dangerous because if both aircraft act late and simultaneously, the collision potential rises exponentially.
I don’t see any mention of training for this in the PPL syllabus and can’t remember being taught, but then I’ve been a sailor. On the water, you can shout, “starboard” and it wakes up the dozy and perhaps alerts them to their ignorance. I do know the various manuals cover the recognition of potential collision by constant angle, but do they adequately cover the various convergent scenarios and what action each aircraft should take? Do you teach it? Should this be a subject for a Safety Sense leaflet?
Being away from home during the week, I don't have access to my bumpf but I do see that there is a leaflet 13A at:- http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/includes/ga/13aleafl.pdf Aren't they are out of print at present? Although an extreemly good analysis of the problem, IMO this leaflet does not adequately and simply educate on Rules of the Air and collision avoidance. Another one required along the lines of Strip Sense?

[ 30 August 2001: Message edited by: Yogi-Bear ]