PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I move to the UK
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2004, 14:32
Meeb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thegypsy said:

In OZ it goes much further as Housing,Petrol ,Food etc etc is far cheaper than in UK.
Have you even been...?

As others have said housing is now on a par with the UK in the growth areas of Australia. Take the southern suburbs of Brisbane, which is infact a long way from the centre of town (30kms) a very average new build property will set you back $400K which is around £170K, much the same as say the outer reaches of Birmingham or Manchester or Newcastle, and as for Glasgow, that will get you a mansion...

Petrol... ok it is cheaper in Oz, but it is a fairly poor grade of petrol so less miles to the gallon and certainly harder on the upkeep/servicing costs, and they all drive gas guzzlers so it sort of evens out.

Food, there is no difference, indeed some foodstuffs such as milk & bread are actually more expensive in Australia.

As for crime, there was a recent study which said you are more likely to suffer serious assault in Australia than anyother developed country...! Like a previous poster, I had never been burgled until I lived in Australia...

Don't get me wrong, I love the country (Australia), but you have to be realistic.