PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will ADS-B do away with the need for radar?
Old 14th Oct 2004, 07:46
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
karrank mon ami;

I wasn't just talking about the existing ground stations, I'm talking about everywhere.

I cant recall the number but basically universal coverage is possible anywhere there is a microwave, mobile phone or any other tower, connected to the telecom grid and/or elsewhere by satlink to hang em on.

It's a big task but not any more or less impossible than the first telephone services.

To whom did the inventor of the facsimile machine sent the first fax, who recieved the first public non ARPAnet email and why are there now more mobile phones in the population than there are telephones connected. Great isn't it.

I can remember hanging out for the new/old fashioned DME en route in faraway places and hoping, there weren't more than 20 was it? aircraft interrogating it at any one time, VOR/DME was the 8th wonder of the world and we could stop carrying spare tuning light globes and replacement plastic funnels for the trailing HF antenna. There must be thousands of them out there on paddock and airfield fences.