PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will ADS-B do away with the need for radar?
Old 14th Oct 2004, 02:00
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ADSB.

Like the DME, another great Aussie aviation development brought about by necessity as a result of the exigencies and difficulties of our unique non US, mostly remote, aviation environment.
Virtual radar across Australia, the SAR implications (more savings) are obvious.

Total coverage of Oz down to the ground with free retrofit to ALL aerial conveyances including parachutes could be provided with around $50,000,000 change out of the current and cynically mischievous"directed" provision of terminal radar.

But if we followed that fairly obvious path, Smith et al would not have the opportunity to play mind games with Government, the industry and regulators in the pursuit of their personal airspace design and aviation agendas.

AOPA used to support the concept but seem strangely silent about it in the light of the $150,000,000 terminal radar directive which can only cost their members and the Australian taxpayers dearly.
Did I miss their screams of protest about it or was I out to lunch at the time, I dunno, maybe Smith is a member.

And I can hear the serial conpiracists winding up now with the "ban free compulsory ADSB transponders to remain free to fly (responsibility optional) wherever we want, without an on board spy in the sky" campaign.

For my money hardwired to the battery switch and a $1,000,000 fine or 20 years, for not knowingly having it so.