PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Month with a Mac: A Die-Hard PC User's Perspective
Old 13th Oct 2004, 22:24
StevenPJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

Right on, Ridley.

Additionally Mac OS X can run both 32 bit AND 64 bit apps on the new G5 chip. Not much of an issue now but as apps get rewritten it will become one (a positive one that is)

Re cost: this is an old chestnut. Yes Pee Cees are cheaper compared to Macs, but then start to match up a dull with identical hardware & software specs. Macs ARE cheaper. Don't forget we have iMovie, iTunes & iPods, iPhoto & iDVD, GarageBand etc & all apart from the iPod comes free with any new Mac.

I've had Macs now for 4 years. I have had No virii. I went to the Symantec site tonight & checked out my laptop for security. All ports are in stealth mode. ie can't be seen. Try that on a Windoze Box even after SP2 has been applied. But do visit the Register for their take on SP. Its still a dangerous system to surf with.

Finally, I have trouble shot my Macs myself - zero calls to anyone.

My oldest Mac (aG4 450 Mhz) can run the latest system Mac OS X 10.3.5 with no problem and even earlier Macs can do the job too. Can the same be said of XP?

Nuff said!