PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AMR 587 Airbus Crash (merged)
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2004, 21:08
Pontious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Did anybody see the BBC's Horizon documentary about AA587 shown last night on BBC World?

I found it very informative and if anybody didn't see it then I recommend you try to obtain it possibly from the Beeb's Archive section although it could be repeated as a fair bit of the BBC World schedule is.

I was quite shocked to see the Chief of the American Airlines A300 fleet Training Department re-enacting the conditions in the Sim'. with a group of independant analysts who applied Airbus's own G factor limitations monitoring his rudder control inputs AFTER the Head of Airbus had done the same demo. showing that it was recoverable. Airbus recommended NEVER APPLY A FULL RUDDER REVERSAL yet this vastly experienced AA trainer was kicking the rudder pedals like David Beckham kicks a football and,as the sensors showed, he completed a couple of full rudder reversals WITHOUT the rudder separating from the fin.

When Airbus applied the NTSB supplied data from the accident aircrafts FDR's, Airbus ran it through their computer's and simulators and were astounded at the severity of the rudder inputs applied and doubly astounded at the 'punishment' the control surface withstood before failiure. It suffered 3 or 4 full rudder reversals prior to failiure and it exceeded Airbus's own figures by quite a margin.

One of the most memorable interviews was of an AA Senior Captain who was almost ghostly white when presented with the Airbus bulletin concerning FULL RUDDER REVERSAL. He simply said that he didn't know that such a manouvre could have such catastrophic consequences.

Shortly after the accident both Airbus and Boeing re-issued bulletins concerning rudder applications during flight. AA however haven't reviewed their training policy on recovery from jet upset or a wake turbulance encounter.

According to the FAA 7 aircraft needed checking, 3 of them belonging to AA and 1 other to the largest operator of A300/A310's in North America - Fedex.

3 out of a fleet of 30 something. Is it me or does something look wrong here?