PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot incapacitation during CAT II/III
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2004, 15:40
batty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot incapacitation during CAT II/III

My company ( FR ) SOP for pilot incapacition during a low viz approach either Cat II or Cat III is to do a go around.

I have a friend with BMI Baby who insists that their SOP is for the remaining pilot, either Capt or FO to continue the approach and land.

Companies have different approaches to the Cat II/III approach, and we should follow our SOP. We (FR) have the FO fly the approach to minimums and the Capt monitors. Should he become visual at minimums he will take control and land. Should the Capt not respond at minimums or calls go around the FO goes around. The point of note is that if there is no response we Go Around. I believe the BMI Baby SOP is for the Capt to fly the whole approach and landing with the FO monitoring.

It seems odd to me that should the Capt collapse that the FO would take control and continue the approach to land as opposed to going around. One reason I think this way is that should any call be missed the FO might not even realise the Capt is dead and continue regardless...ie never go around.

What is your take on this? What is your company approach to the Low Viz enviroment?

Last edited by batty; 13th Oct 2004 at 16:55.