PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I move to the UK
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2004, 15:34
Zippy2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BananasBananas,

Everything you said can be applied to Canada as well. It is not just Britain that is affected by slow decline. Pretty much everything "WizofOz" said applies to Canada too except replace Sydney Harbour with "anywhere in Vancouver". Cigarettes cost a fortune (but this doesn't matter when you are aircrew if you know what I mean), cities are getting dirtier, roads are in worse condition every year and funding gets cut all over the place - god help you if you need an ambulance in Ontario. Pension funds are underfunded and there is no money in the economy to sort it out. Welfare state is in a mess - just count how many people are sleeping on the streets next time you are in Toronto (there used to be none when I was a kid).

Restaurants appear cheaper in Canada but this is false economy because you have to add 15% tax to all the menu prices and then of course add another 15% tip because tipping is compulsory. Not something you need to worry about in Britain.

The simple fact is, what you have described is the state of the entire western world. Everything is sacrificed at the altar of the mighty dollar. The sooner people begin to wake up and realise that the grass ISN'T greener on the other side the better. Except where it comes to aviation.

The decision should come down to where are the jobs. The answer is they are in Britain. The wages are very competitive and the competition is strong and healthy. Employment is way more secure than other countries and time off is much more. The vast majority of jobs are on large commercial jet aircraft. If bush flying is your thing then don't come here. If airline flying is your thing then get off your backside and get here yesterday.

Zippy