PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Propless C210
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2004, 14:07
wheels up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would agree that the loss of the prop, although it would cause a rearward shift in C of G, is unlikely to have made the aircraft uncontrollable - simple task to calculate if the C of G is still within limits but would need to know what the C of G position was on the aircraft and what the acceptable C of G envelope is. Effect on stall speed would be negligible - stall speed increases at the square route of the weight. Effect on glide ratio would be negligible - changing weight has no noticeable effect on glide ratio although decreasing weight would decrease sink rate marginally.

I am not an expert on the engine in the C210, but I would expect that a loss of the prop with the hub assembly would lead to a rapid loss of oil pressure. If the engine uses the system usually used in CS props, the crankshaft is hollow and supplies engine oil under pressure to the piston in the prop hub, regulated by the CS unit. If the entire prop and hub came off, I guess the engine would pump oil under pressure out of the unrestricted opening. Possibly someone with more expert knowledge could comment.

Last edited by wheels up; 13th Oct 2004 at 14:19.