PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing Drop Stalls
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2001, 05:41
Elevator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gents,

For my comments on you very interesting thread, I would like to add that my first 30 or so hours of training was in PA38 Tomahawk and I was very apprehensive of my stalling training.

I trained on 3 various PA38's of which the club's aeroplane was by far the best performer of all.Much more docile and predictable.

I was taught all the normal pre stall buffets etc, clean and power on and had a few wing drops, particularly to the left, although one tended to drop and surprise you.

Remember I'm referring to 3 different aircraft. I'm also in Perth Western Australia. Wind being a cosideration becuase of surrounding hills and thermal updrafts etc;

I found very quickly to make very little movements if at all to the ailerons approaching the stall was certainly the way to go. The rudder was my best friend and I tried to set up the entry and hold everything as straight and still as I could, allowing a little rudder movement to keep the aeroplane straight. Nothing abrubt or to sudden, keeping co ordinated with the ball.

My instructor was the CFI and was tough. He wanted me to hold as long as possible to show me the various phases of the stall and then the recovery.\\ I, to this day do not like stalling, and made my point very clear to him, however I am vigilant to keep away from any manouvre that could bring on a stall, but I do feel comfortable in being able to know that if I correct things now well before the full stall the outcome is much more pleasing, comfortable and safer for all concerned.

The drills although a pain at the time put the pilot in very good stead for what unpredictability may come your way when flying. I can now go up and go to a full stall and not feel to bad about it, but hope to god that wing does not drop.

Thanks again for an intersting thread.