PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing Drop Stalls
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2001, 00:34
CaptAirProx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with most of what has been said here. Flythebob, your thoughts are noted. However, I would like to point out that we as civi instructors, certainly in the UK have to teach students the worse case scenario. In that I mean all pilots once qualified can jump into any SEP(L) aircraft of simple type. Some of these aircraft including microlight versions and kit builds are very slippery and not particularly docile or forgiving. The rate at which some of these go from sloppy controls to buffet and immediately drop a wing are alarming. And if a student hasn't seen and coped with that before I think they are poorly placed. In fact some may not demonstrate particularly obvious symptoms until its all over.

Someone here mentioned twins and stalling. Well I have a lot of respect for stalling the twins that I have trained on. And don't take them or hold them in any deep stall during training. My belief is that the student should have been shown and flown the wing drops et all during their Single PPL. Just need to train them the symptoms. Therefore should be no need to explore the unknown.
Flythebob - PS, I am a civi but was trained and worked under an ex CFS chappie so understand the RAF methods. And agree with a lot of them.