PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing Drop Stalls
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2001, 15:32
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Years ago CFS used to teach "prevent further wing drop with rudder" - but this was deleted since, I agree with John_Tullamarine's comment:-
"He who plays with rudder at the stall invites a spin", it was thought that to teach this might more readily induce a spin.

Capt AirProx, I am sure that your teaching is thorough and effective but having shown the student a "full stall" I see little value in him actually practising same since the objective is for him to recognise the signs of a full stall and recover without delay. (This assumes that he has missed the signs of an approaching stall).

You are correct that the JAR Skills Test states "clean stall". It is probably a matter of semantics but, at the risk of teaching my grandmother to suck eggs (!), the symptoms of the full stall are:-

Heavy Buffet
A/c descending
Nose pitch down
Possible wing drop

Depending on the situation any one of these may occur first. Since, by definition, these are symptoms of the full stall then when anyone of these occur the aircraft is "fully stalled", ergo this complies with the JAR requirement for clean stall (and recovery). It is more important for the student to recognise the first (full) symptom and recover since this is what he should do if it really happens to him.

Finally, I agree it is a matter of opinion and I am sure what you do yourself is very effective - there is, as they say, more than one way of "skinning a cat".

I speak as one who is essentially "civil" trained, etc but also one who has had experience of the military way of doing it - and I think the military have got it right!