PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing Drop Stalls
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2001, 15:26
laurie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi Bruce - I trained on the tomohawk for my PPL and had the same impulse to correct with the stick, which of course can have disastrous results.

If you do a search on this subject within Wannabees or Instuctors forums there are some really good threads that I remember reading.

What the previous member has said about gradually training for elements of the recovery and then piecing it together is great advice. In particular, nearing the stall, the difference in the final pull back to provoke the stall is important.

A strong pull back at this time usually gives quite a savage wing drop, whereas if you just hold the back pressure it will, in its own time, start to drop a wing a bit slower.

This gives you more time to think about the drill & do the 'proper' thing, rather than the impulse to correct with aileron coming through and ruining it.

You can then build up to the more violent wingdrops whilst 'reprogramming', if you like, your instinctive response to the stall.

One thing that sticks in my mind from the threads here was someone saying to push the yoke from the centre (hands away from either handle grip) - then there isn't really anyway you can put in aileron. It worked for me...

Also - do however much stalling is required until you feel really comfortable esp. the wing drops.

Good luck with it and I hope this helps. Being in NZ, the search function during the day usually works (when UK are sleeping)

Out of interest, where are you training?

Regards, Laurie.