PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Propless C210
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2004, 11:04
ZS-NDV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying Bean,

I have to concur with B Sousa's analysis. I doubt the that separation of the prop would cause a really significant change of CofG and that this change could cause the aircraft to become uncontrollable.

However, having read the explaination of the sequence of events in the original post, one comment interest me in particular. It is said that at one point durung the sequence of events, the prop seperated. Does this mean that the prop seperated before the oil leak or after?
The way I see it, if a prop should separate, it should be when it is under a certain amount of stress. i.e. when power is applied. And, in such a case, it is certain that even with a high reaction time, the engine would have certainly overreved.
Thus my analysis which would be the seperation of the prop prior to the oil leak causing engine overreving and destruction, therefore causing the major oil leak which prevented the pilot from seeing where he was going and performing a proper emergency landing which would have probably avoided the crash.

I once had a major oil leak on a 150 and I can tell you that it is impossible to see in front. Luckily, this was on rotation and all I had to do was cut power and land back on the runway. I can only imagine the impossibility of performing a forced landing in bush country with no front vis.

Regards,

ZS-NDV