PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA & VS denied access to US airspace ?
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2001, 04:30
Diesel8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am amazed by the writers who believe security is so much better in the EU. I have travelled extensively and still do and most of western Europe is not much better than the US.

several mentions of the drunk who casually wandered onto the FD of a british carrier, that should not have happened in the US since our doors are to be locked. If a british carrier had been subject to this same scenario as the one used at WTC, I am doubtfull the outcome would have been much different. Air Transport is a mass transport business and only in limited circumstances can effective security measures be applied. ELAL has the strictest security in the world, but the have two advantages, they have relatively few passengers as compared to any major carrier in the US and they know exactly who the enemy is. In the US, the great melting pot, we have people from all over the world, 99.999% of them peaceloving, but just imagine if we started suspecting and questioning every single person from the middle east, that would indeed be a job.

Now we are seeing arrests in Germany, so were was the normally very effeicient Bundespolizei. In Holland likewise.
I am sure as we speak there are suspects in England, furthermore we have seen the inability of the British to contain the "Irish problem". And I am also sure that some of these people who perpetrated this act passed thru the EU on their way to the US, rumours has it some of the people arrested were trying to go through Amsterdam.

This is a tragic event which we all need to learn from, not cast stones.

On a slight side note to tonyryan:" It would appear that we are taking our time before we start pointing fingers and taking action, perhaps you could learn from that. If not, like the famous quote goes: "Sod off"