PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I move to the UK
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2004, 08:05
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts
Hi guys,

unwiseowl,

Crime? About the same. I've experienced four comprehensive burgularys at home, muggings, beatings, murders etc. are all there. Smaller numbers because of a smaller population but per capita about the same. Schools? My kids are happily in a local Catholic State school, whilst we were going to have them privatley educated at home because the state system is c****.
Roads? A little wider! But nothing like the motorway system, and rural roads are death traps. Public transport? Nothing approaching the tube, a creaking bus service in sydney and and old inefficient suburban train system. Health service? Medicare, the government health insurance, is underfunded. Waiting times for non-life threatening surgery (Such as hip-replacement for an old guy in constant pain) was approaching two years. Pensions? There is compulsory personal superanuation, as the state pension is not available to virtualy anyone with any assets. Those funds are under the same pressure as British ones, and the Aus population is aging just as quickley.

Weather? Great most of the time, though try flying an un-airconditioned light twin in 45 degree heat- not fun.

Airline jobs? Qantas, 15 years to command. VB? gotta know some one, and the pay stinks.

Tony? Well, he'll be gone soon, won't he? And don't think we haven't had our share of idiots behind the wheel. Do some research on Gough Whitlam

thegypsy,

Yes and no. Firstly, Sydney is hellishly expensive. If you re envisaging a place overlooking the harbour, you are talking millions of dollars for starters. Median price for greater Sydney is around 500 000 (About 200 000 pounds), which is similar to Britain. Other places are better, but I don't know what you'd do for work.

My higher British salary is paying the mortgage on my more expensive British house. Come retirement, the value of my four-bed semi in Northern England would fund my entire retirement at home! And my job security here is MUCH higher. When there are only two airlines, if the one you work for goes broke, your choices get very limited!!