PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Month with a Mac: A Die-Hard PC User's Perspective
Old 13th Oct 2004, 04:21
Ridley
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I spotted this article and just had to respond.

Having worked with Microsoft in the early years, and having some experience helping develop some of their core products (again in the early years, so as not to mislead), I have some heartfelt feelings about Mac and PC. (And about Microsoft, which may become evident.)

I’ve written a worldwide bestselling book on the subject of web design (8 years ago), still used as curriculum at several universities, helped develop several web, wireless, financial and software technologies over the past 13 years, and for all intents and purposes, should be a die-hard PC user. I have a lot to say about where this thread is going.

Let me first comment on the article at Anandtech.com:

First of all, after reading the article, its very clear that if the writer isn't making at least 90% of his income from inside Bill Gates cavity, he will be shortly.

This is a very biased and completely inaccurate post. In his first few paragraphs he states how wonderful XP is, and how great it is that it came along. Well, here's where I start to see red.

I found that Windows XP was just as stable as any other OS that I'd ever encountered. My personal machine would go months between reboots without a single problem.
Hmmm, this could only be true if there isn't a single application running on it. Because as all of us people who use an 'app' stronger than outlook express will tell you, certain software, graphics drivers, audio drivers, codecs, DLL's, tray apps, even huge corporate anti-virus programs will make you have to reboot eventually, sometimes infrequent, sometimes often. Maybe not as often as Windows 95, but then no one should have to wade through life remembering that hell, but we still have to reboot a lot. (even if it is to install something as simple as a screensaver, Microsoft Products almost always require rebooting.)

Side-note: The words Stable, Reliable, Secure can NEVER EVER BE USED WITH A MICROSOFT PRODUCT!!!

Why do I have this view? Because as has been written times before from people much closer to the pearly white gates of redmond than me, Microsoft could patch and fix all of their bugs, security holes, and kernel issues in a 24-48 hour period.
Why would a company choose not to do this, if it was possible? Because of the one thing that motivates Microsoft and nothing else. Money.

You wouldn't need to purchase a new OS, download a new driver, use Automatic Updates for your software, buy a license to get the newest virus signatures, etc if they did fix those problems.
Bill Gates has never been a guy to invent something that you could use and walk away with. Every product he creates must become the technological equivalent of crack. If you buy a Microsoft product, you will become dependant on that company from that point forward.

Gates wants the whole world to have to pay a monthly fee to Microsoft. In fact, this has been and remains one of his earliest visions, and the way things are going, it won’t be too long until we all pay a weekly fee for the privilege of using his software. (he has stated several times that an OS should be an essential service like Gas, or Water, this is his vision.)

Microsoft has interests in every available field of security, from software and hardware firewalls, to anti-virus. And is one of the worlds largest spammers, thanks to that disclaimer you sign and agree to in Hotmail (a microsoft owned company, and the worlds largest database of email addresses) you can and will be spammed. (not just your hotmail address, but also your email address used to sign on to hotmail) As they announced, they have had several Hotmail database break-ins that surprisingly coincided with companies tracing their spam back to employees hotmail accounts. (how strange)

What many new users of computers don't realize, is that before microsoft, you only upgraded if you wanted NEW features, not because you wanted your APP/OS/Hardware to WORK.

What the article on Anandtech fails to explain to the reader, is that his use of the machine is innocuous. He wants to do what he does on the PC on a MAC. It’s not a gaming machine, it won’t emulate all the same software properly, and it doesn’t have the identical apps. It’s an unfair comparison. It’s like comparing a Porsche to a lawnmower, and expecting the Porsche to trim around the hedges. (although I’m sure it can do this, it won’t be pretty)

I could go into detail on why this article is so biased, and probably will later, but for now, its clear from even a cursory look, the article is tainted. (kind of like mine)

On to the discussion of Macs.

Mac users, and this comes from working with, watching and witnessing the quiet rebellion to Mac, of and by Mac and PC users, are extremely happy with their operating system, their hardware, software and lives, and are extremely proud to be Mac users, and will probably die Mac users. Which needs to be noted! As this cannot be said about almost all PC users. PC users don’t have this kind of loyalty, happiness, or lifestyle. PC users are always grumbling about something about their OS, drivers, software, etc.
(unless they lie and sing the praises of Microsoft because that’s the side their
bread is buttered on.)

Why use a Mac?

I do want to make it clear, that if you want to emulate PC apps, get into gaming, or want to do heavy (and I mean heavy) 3D graphic design with a Mac, your probably not thinking very clearly, at least for right now.

Mac's are not for gamers. Period. While there are some great games that work for Mac's, its a far too expensive machine to play games on. (and besides all the driver hell you might go through, like the Anandtech article talked about, just might happen.)

For people that game, buy an Xbox (I prefer the PS2, you usually don't have to pay for the live service, like you do with Xbox live. A useless reason to extort money from gamers) or a PC.

Mac's are perfect for anyone wanting to do real work. Web design, eCommerce development, wireless development, graphic design, animation, audio and production audio engineering, etc.

For people that do heavy 3D graphics design, buy an SGI if you don't already have one. (if your using your PC for lightwave and Alias, chances are its a pirated copy, and your only having fun with it. Or your trying to learn it. In any case, keep quiet.)

For people that Code heavily, it all depends on what OS you code for. For the most stable environment, develop for Unix (Linux), or Java.

For people wanting to browse, get email, chat online, do the occasional word processing, do a spreadsheet, do your taxes:

YOU CAN: Get a PC.
But be prepared as you should do the following if you buy or own a PC - Buy a router with a built-in firewall, buy a software firewall, download all of Microsofts latest patches (in safe mode with netoworking), and download every other developers patches to keep up with microsoft, make sure you constantly update all of your printer drivers/graphics driovers/audio drivers/mother board drivers/mouse drivers/keyboard drivers/monitor drivers/misc hardware drivers, and whatever else I've missed because you will surely come across a Microsoft patch that affects one or many of these things in a bad way, and download every newest virus signature along with your virus softwares engine updates since viruses come up every day (after all it’s a billion$+ industry), also don't forget to manage your start menu, and your startup processes so you don’t overload your memory and/or your system (you don’t want your system to become sluggish), and if you can, optimize your interface for your video card and memory (be careful as you may have to tweak things on a regular basis if you go from game to game), and of course reboot when you have any problems (although XP will do that for you.)

OR: Buy a Mac.
you can spend a little more and buy a MAC, and do very LITTLE, if any of the above. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar! Run away from them.

Remember, I'm a PC user, who has developed a ton of applications, from web server technologies, to financial software, wireless applications, and more. Unfortunately I have to work in the Microsoft environment. And I hate every stinking second of it.

I look forward to the day I can develop all that I want on a Mac. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and I'm looking forward to that day. But if you don't need to be in the Microsoft arena, then get the hell out.

The difference between Mac and PC can be broken down to three things.

1. Price (PC is lower)
2. Apps (PC has more)
3. Pain and suffering. (PC is all about the pain)

The Pain you experience with a PC will far outweigh the savings you get over a Mac.

My advice, if you can find the Apps you want on a Mac, you can afford it and your not a gamer, then go for and stick with the Mac. You will never be sorry.

If you work on the PC like me, and because of the Apps, you don’t have a choice. Then please drop me a PM, and we can console each other.

Ridley