PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I move to the UK
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2004, 08:27
Zippy2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, you should move to the UK. I did it 5 years ago, with almost no experience at all. I have been flying the 767 ever since. I have been comparing terms & conditions with the Canadian market ever since and there simply is no comparison. However I did manage to get in on the housing ladder here before everything went haywire, I think I would find it pretty hard to do now.

Do not listen to those who say stay at home. If I had done so when I was posting similar questions on pprune I would still be a 152 instructor. Yes the weather is crap, yes it is expensive here, but what people don't realize is that Canada is expensive in other areas. There is a huge misconception in this country that Britain is the most expensive/worst place to live in the world and that all our problems will be solved by moving somewhere else. You can see this on the numerous television programs like "no going back" where extremely naive people move away to Australia, Canada, France etc thinking that they are in for the easy life, only to make the shocking discovery that things were actually easier at home! Life is hard no matter where you are and the simple FACT is that the best place in the world for a pilot to work is in Britain. And hey, 900 hours a year is the limit here, not 1200 like in Canada! Quality of life is better based on this fact alone.

The aviation industry is the second largest in the world and due to the prohibitively high cost of getting a licence there are a lot of jobs around. If you can sort out the money then just do it.

I should also mention that I was concerned I would get a bad reception here and people would think I am taking jobs etc. Based on the sort of xenophobic rants you see on this website you could be forgiven for thinking this but the reality is that people are really interested in you and I couldn't have had a warmer reception.

But yes the weather really is bad here. If the weather was better the aviation industry wouldn't be so big so we have the weather to thank for our jobs.

Go for it.