PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay interviw debrief
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2004, 00:55
grind king

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings from Canada,

I thought I should share some info from my interview and maybe help someone else in the process. As this is my second time though the grind I thought I was prepared. I went through the process in 2001 but was unsuccessful. However they did say that I would get another chance and sure enough I did. The interviewers were great and did their best to put me at ease. The personal questions were pretty straight forward. How I felt about the 49ers (49 pilots fired) and if it soured Cathay for me in any way? How my spouse would feel about moving to Hong Kong?.... The technical stuff was a little more intense. They wanted to know why aircraft wings are swept, and also see a good understanding of the theory behind it. They would always push for more. They wanted me to show them how the air flows over the wing and if all the different airflow vectors would also have a lift vector. It was certainly not enough to say that swept wings allows a higher airspeed before Mach crit, they want more!!!
They also asked the difference between N1 and EPR, then asked how much thrust is produced by the 747-400 engine? Here's the fun part. If a brand new engine is producing 60600lbs of thrust and indicating 1.8EPR and ten years down the road it is still indicating 1.8epr is it still producing 60600lbs of thrust? The. the same question using N1 instead of epr. Fun Huh? They were also interested in my knowledge of Typhoons. Causes, what is needed to start and maintain them..... I said warm waters 26c, unstable air, and a deep low pressure. They said " you mentioned warm waters, the warmest waters are found over the equator can a hurricane form there? Why not? What causes a low to spin counter clockwise in the nothern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere? Which way does the earth turn about it's axis? (while also drawing a picture of the earth on a white board) Then what is the value of the coriolis at the equator? It seemed to get real hot in the room right about then. They also asked about screen heights and why they would be lower with a wet V1. Some other quick questions about winglets and which aircraft in the fleet don't have them(777) and why. For the most part thats about all I can remember. It could have been worse but not much though. On a positive note I did get called back for a second interview in Honkers.
Hope this helps.
Good Luck!!!