PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Instruction vs Flying at night
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2004, 20:54
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Night Instruction vs Flying at night

I have a Flying Instructor rating, which includes a No Night Instruction restriction, and a No Applied Instrument Instruction restriction.

First of all, can we all agree that the instrument restriction does not prevent me instructing in IMC? Examples of when I may do this would be to get on top of an overcast to carry out a lesson in visual conditions on top, or to take a student into IMC as part of the introduction to instruments (ex 19) (after having given adequate training on the use of the instruments in visual conditions first, of course). However, it does prevent me from giving instruction to students who are training towards in instrument qualification (either IMC rating or IR).

So, if that's the case, does the same apply to the night restriction? I obviously can't give instruction towards a Night Qualification, but can I instruct at night? Examples of when I might want to do this would be a PPL who already has a Night Rating or a Night Qualification, but wants to fly with an instructor to get current again at the start of the night flying season. Or a student who is having a lesson towards the end of the day - the lesson is completed before night, but the transit from the practice area back to the airfield takes me into official night. Are either of these situations legal?

Simple comparison with the instrument restriction would suggest that they are legal. But the use of the word "applied" in the instrument restriction, and the lack of it in the night restriction, has raised a doubt in my mind, and I can't find any reference in any official documents.

FFF
--------------