PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interviews
Thread: Interviews
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2004, 19:16
The Euronator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alpha Sierra

Are you planning to go for Eurocontrol or ATSA posts? I've just printed off the Eurocontrol application form, but before reading some of your other stuff, I didn't know much about ATSAs'. All very interesting stuff which has got me thinking!

Alpha Sierra, I think an application for Eurocontrol should be a first option before any thoughts of applying for an ATSA position.
Now before the ATSA's have a real go at me, I will try to explain my thoughts as best I can.

Firstly, the ATSA position, in many countries, notice I don't say in the UK, but in many countries, is becoming a redundant position. This is mainly due to the automation of ATC. I don't know a lot about the way the UK use their ATSA's but I have seen in several ATC organisations that this positon is now either redundant or becoming redundant with new systems and higher ATC automation.

In these countries, the ATSA's ( Flight Data's ) whatever you will call them, are offered a multitude of options from redundancy, to a new posting of say Systems expert and on some occassions retraining as an ATC. Now, currently I think ATSA experience would give you an above average knowledge to successfully complete an ATC course, with the new positions, I have increasing doubts. You will be more a system monitorer than an ATC Assistant.

Here is point in the question, do you get in as an ATSA, wait a couple of years and apply for an ATC course, hoping that ATC automation won't catch up with you prior to this grand plan eventuating ie. ATSA's are offered redundancy and they take a last on first off basis for this reduction, you are then in the same boat you are now ??

Apply to Eurocontrol and progress through an ATC course, to obtain ratings that may ( Noticed I said "MAY" ) one day let you work back in your homeland, but in the meantime will allow you to do something you have only dreamt about ie. ATC ( not sleeping with blond haired Dutch chicks, although that would be an added bonus)

Apply as an ATSA, hoping that ATC Automation catches up whilst you are there, additionally hope that those ATSA's within the system ( being you ) will be offered an ATC Course or even better an abbreviated ATC course.

There are several decisions to ponder, but myself, I would take the option that will give you what you ultimately want, that is to work as an ATC.