PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2004, 12:07
mazzy1026

Spicy Meatball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hour 16

I have bee really unlucky with the weather ever since starting my circuit training. Every single session that I have done, it has been bloody windy, close or past aircraft limits. My instructor told me I would have already gone solo had it not been for this fact, so I get a little cheesed off when I wake up for the lesson and its howling outside. Anyway, that’s UK aviation for you so I either get used to it or stress myself out!

On rw 09 today we had a 20kt headwind throughout most of the session. Takeoff was interesting as we got airspeed for free and we climbed higher, quicker so we had to crab quite a bit to get a decent crosswind distance, so that we were not too close to the runway on downwind. The flying was going well, and on the second circuit we performed 2 orbits to give spacing to one of the easyjets (the sky in Liverpool especially on a weekend is dotted with orange!) So there we are jollying away, knowing that if the weather was good I may have had the opportunity to go solo, but still, was loving every minute.

Then, we thought we could do a couple of gliding descents to land. As we turned to final, instructor said to me:

“Tell me when you think we could cut the engine and successfully make the runway”.

Bearing in mind the wind was bloody strong, I was guessing at pretty much over the extended threshold – the metal structures that hold the approach lights (anyone know the technical word I am looking for?). So at 1000 feet, we cut the engine, carb heat on and kept the nose up for 70kt. Then commenced the glide. As we got further along, I was thinking, “We aint gonna make this”. All of a sudden…..WALLOP! We were dropping like a whore’s knickers (sorry) – loads of power back on to keep us from dying and ensure that we make the runway – very very interesting indeed.

On the next base:

Instructor: “Wanna do another one?”
Me: “Too right”.

This time, it was quite scary. We were practically over the numbers when we cut the engine at 1000ft. the runway looked TINY! Miles away! I was expecting a very exciting landing as we were SO high, never seen the runway from this perspective before (listen to me like a kid with a new toy). So again, trim for 70kts and set the glide up. This time, we were making it no problem and had plenty of runway to play with – landed fine. I had concerns with what I had learned: What would it be like if you REALLY had lost your engine and you had no runway to play with, or for that matter, no runway at all! Getting the glide angle spot on and picking the best landing point (a nice field) would be essential, and I can imagine pretty scary.

Lots learned today, and still awaiting my solo which I am really looking forward to. I gave my airband scanner to my dad who was back at the house, more than 15 miles away, he could hear me clearly in the circuit which was great.

Safe flying,

Lee